Thursday, September 3, 2009

Hiroshima Impact

At the rear, 2 Japanese gentlemen who are talking in real old man japanese talk, it's fun to hear, I think Jeff and I are the only two native english speakers in the passenger list. It's amusing hearing all the announcements in Mandarin, Japanese and then in English, I wonder idly if Jeff is also thinking that they could cut out the English announcements... since both of us are quite the studies of Japanese. Well, naturally, for that very study, neither of us can admit it, it's the Japanese way.
Oh yeah it is. The day we spent out in Taipei was full of adventure and all of feeling like a fish out of water. Knowing not even enough of the local language to be able to say 'I'd like that' or 'how much' or 'where's the bathroom?” Getting back to hearing a language that I can comprehend (even if not natively) is very comfortable indeed
There are several men to my left in suits, but they appear younger than me. One is very interested in this netbook I'm typing on. His eyes are getting larger with every piece of tech I'm pulling out.. headphones and mp3 player really shouldn't be drawing attention like this. Well, I suppose the fact that they are large, over-the-ear, noise cancellation headphones does something.
Ah, there's immigration papers that must be filled out.
I'll have to post more about Taiwan, and the 7 7-11s I saw in a small radius there another time. Or maybe about all the starbucks? ah, here we go... those tiny little shops off the tourist-beaten path that students and locals know about. The ones with the incredible grean bean, passionfruit, or black plum smoothies that Starbucks can only bring out pale imitations of for twice the price... literally. 150NT for the starbucks imitation, but about 80 or 90NT for the one from that stand we were led to. Oh, it seems I've talked about Taipei now. Maybe I'll come back to it later.
Immigration in Hiroshima... Wow I should've booked a guest house or something. They literally wouldn't let me in without a pre-arranged location. and since I had none.. we had to come up with something... Jeff's dormroom was it and that's how it went. They then fully searched my bags. I was, after all, the last passenger out of the airport that night. They were courteous, and surprised I opted to speak with them in Japanese, everything went alright though, and I'm in Japan. Hiroshima... well, more specifically Saijou. We did lots of running around errands and stuff today, and then had a little party at Bistro PaPa. That was something else. 3 people ate well, for about $20. And they had good fries. As I finish off this glass of CC Lemon, I'm pondering the things that need to be done. If we move hotels again tomorrow, I'm getting close to going off and finding a more permanent room sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment