Friday, September 4, 2009

On the move

We've been moving to a new hotel every night lately, it's rather disorientating, but it's been cheap, so I can live with that. Right now we're waking up in Hotel Kamo, in a tatami room. So last night at 11pm we were spreading out our futon to get ready to sleep, and trying on yukata and that was pretty fun, but I've gotta say that the Yukata were too small for me and Jeff though, but they still went on alright. Mine was parted all the way down into the abdomen area before it closed, that was... interesting. New order of business when I get established, try on some yukata that actually fit. (Aside: Yukata are light robes, worn around hotsprings, baths, festivals, they're light and thin fabric so they're good for wearing around when it's hot out. Sometimes I think it might be fun to be the gaijin who's always wearing traditional Japanese clothing.)
But back to yesterday. Probably the highlight yesterday was lunch. We went to an okonomiyaki place that's probably one of the most famously known ones around here. And even famously known, it's still right next door to another okonomiyaki place. I took some video and pictures. It's a sit down place with grills at every table and you grill your own. That was a real experience, we were drawing attention from neighboring tables because of how much we were enjoying it. Actually, I just remembered an incident from the day before yesterday, we were coming back from a supermarket and it was dark out, now one of us gets night blindness and another is pretty directionally challenged and this left me to navigate the way back to the hotel we were staying at that night. Which I'd only been to the once, to check in. Didn't see that coming, but it went without trouble so I hadn't mentioned it.
More from yesterday! Later we went and met with some more friends of Jeff's, a Shin and a Charlie. We went back to Hiroshima University campus after dropping some bags off with Charlie at her apartment, as she has a free room for the next month, very handy, now we don't have as much to carry. Ate at the cafeteria and sat around to chat. It was kinda like sitting back at Table for those of you who know that, or, just like sitting around talking about random things while eating occasionally. Some other friends of Shin and Charlie were there so it was lively and fun. We stayed there for a while then moved to Charlie's apartment and continued chatting for quite a while. About 8am Mountain time (11pm locally) we got back to the hotel. Now I can say I've slept on Tatami, can't say it was too bad.. if you like your bed really firm then you might enjoy it too.

1 comment:

  1. Ryan,
    I'm really enjoy reading your blogs, they add to what I read in Jeffrey's. I'm sure glad you are starting your adventure with Jeffrey!
    Take care,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete